Monday, April 30, 2012

'Bikini Body'

While reading through the New York Times Fashion and Style blog, I came across an article about how our culture enshrines physical perfections and the implications it has on women's identity and self image (especially during the spring and summer). What I am mostly interested in here is how the media (magazines, television, film) and the fashion industry have influenced what an assumed 'bikini body' should look like and why women should to strive for this. Why is the bikini a symbol of victory? I know that I have personally fallen victim to this "bikini body" craze, and I see this all as having an undertone of objectification, that a woman's body should be gazed at, and commented on.

Don't get me wrong, when I go to the beach I definitely enjoy wearing a bikini, but there were times in my life when wearing a bikini in public only led to self-criticism, and I can't help but connect that to the images and advertisements that bombarded me as a young girl. It is perceived as if women who don't have a "bikini body" aren't worthy of being in a suit. Not to mention most magazine covers feature an attractive photo shopped lady next to lines that say "get bikini body ready!" and "Dirty talk that drives him wild!" and "5 signs that he's craving you". Does this not equate being sexy with doing so for the desire of men?


I made it point long ago to throw away my television away and never pick up a woman's fashion magazine ever again. The truth is there is no such thing as a "bikini body," this is a myth, an illusion. One cannot acquire an idealized bikini body last minute, there are only women who choose to wear bikinis, and may do so in confidence, not for anyone else, but for themselves. Being healthy, active and loving yourself unconditionally is the first step in having the "bikini body" you dream of. Developing a positive body image is difficult in a society where we are all surrounded by impossible images of beauty. Female insecurity has become manufactured for profit, so don't buy it, ladies.

Here are some older vintage(and modern) photographs of more voluptuous and realistic looking women that have inspired me on my recent crusade to love my body.


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. A woman shouldn't have to wear a bikini for someone else, especially a man. As long as you're comfortable in your skin, and love yourself for who you are, then nothing else matters.

    ReplyDelete